Florida Orienteering - 2010 Annual Meeting

Date/Time: January 15, 2011 - 7pm
Location   : Anrea Canelos residence, 1208 Clinging Vine Place, Winter Springs, FL

The meeting was called to order at 7:15 PM and began with an introduction of the attendees, who were invited to share the stories of their introduction to 'O'.

Attendees: Dwayne & Jeanne Adams, Ray Bruneau, Andrea Canelos, Jerri Christian, Mike Dempsey
                   Ron & Linda Eaglin, Donna Fleugal, Gord and Lise Hunter, John Ide, Jonathan Linforth
                   Kris Mante, Joe Maliszewski, Greg Owens, Will Pirnasch, Bob and Janet Putnam
                   Jaime de la Rubia, Jerry Sirmans, Russ Steinke
Proxies: None

A quorum of FLO members and Directors were present.

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved, without correction, by acclamation.

Treasurer's Report - The treasurer reported that FLO took in $10,974 and spent $9,692 during 2010. The club currently has a balance of $12,775 in the bank. The financial records appear to be in order, and all outstanding expenses have been paid.

Membership / Newsletter Report - Mike Dempsey:
As of December 15 we had a total of 55 members consisting of 27 individuals and 28 couples/families. This is a decrease from last years 63, and well below the recent peak of 72 in 2007.
Now that all information is available on the web site we are rarely producing a newsletter.

Mapping / Event Report - Bob Putnam:
The only new map created in 2010 was at Florida Agricultural Museum.
A total of 1545 starts were recorded at this year's events. This is an increase of 90 compared to 2009. This was primarily attributed to the extra event held at FAM during the summer.

Publicity Report - Ray Bruneau:
Ray now sends our scheduled events to any of 25 publications depending on the area in which the event will take place.

USOF Charter Renewal
Based on the USOF method for counting members we have 83 'members'. This combined with the number of starts above brings our USOF charter renewal fees to $1,885.50. These fees will be remitted by the treasurer next week.

Old Business:

Mapping Plans
We are attempting to hire a mapper from the Czech Republic this winter. USOF will request a J visa for this mapper. (Details to follow from USOF) We are uncertain at this time whether we will be able to obtain a visa in time to do mapping this winter. A mapper from Wisconsin has created a base map of the UCF campus for a special event in Febuary.

Permanent Courses
We have received many positive comments on the permanent courses at Moss Park and have sent out many certificates as a result.
Two courses have been set up at Kelly Park but we are still waiting for the brochures to be printed by the park. In the mean time we have made the maps and control sheets available for download from the web site.
The course at Tibet Butler is on hold pending updating of the map.
The course at FAM is on hold pending purchase of the stakes and printing of the brochures.
A suggestion was made to forego "carsonite" stakes in permanent courses as a cost saving measure, likely helpful to parks.

Safety Procedures
We had one individual who failed to check in at RSR which caused us to perform a minimal search effort. This person was found cooling off in the horse barn shop when we returned from a nearby search.
We now have 4 members who are newly certified by the National Parks Service for Search and Rescue. Join us in congratulating Jerry Sirmans, Will Pirnasch, and Donna & Steve Fleugal.

Map Printing
We have purchased a new printer that is able to print not only the standard maps but also banners.
Jonathan will provide clue sheets to the JROTC coordinator so that these can be made available to the cadets. Such separate sheets are used at A meets.
Jonathan will look into the cost of using waterproof maps and having these printed externally.

Park Relations
Kelly Park now requires us to rent 2 pavillions due to the numbers who attend our events. We will try to persuade the supervisor to attend an event in order to see that this is not necessary.
There were some minor problems at Croom but these appear to have been resolved.

New Business:

Credit / Debit card
Russ and Jonathan will look into getting a Debit card or ShopSafe credit card to use for club purchases.

Use of Electronic Punches
We are planning to try using E-Punches on at least some JROTC courses at the JROTC championships in May, where Duane Adams will be JROTC Event Coordinator and will provide the e-punch units.
Jonathan will look into the purchase of a small laptop that can be used with the electronic punches.

ONA going digital
ONA will be available in digital form starting this Fall.

Miami Club Relations
The proposed direction is to hire LK Orienteering as a contractor to run the event for us. Details to be determined.

Election of Officers:
No elections are required this year

The meeting adjourned at 9:10 PM.

I hereby certify that these are the correct minutes of the meeting.

       Mike Dempsey,  Secretary/Admin

  Back   |   Home