Florida Orienteering - 2014 Annual Meeting

Date/Time: December 27, 2014 - 7pm
Location   : Will & Emmi Pirnasch residence, Winter Springs, FL

The meeting was called to order at 7:35 PM.
The minutes were recorded by Ray Bruneau.

Attendees: Vickie Bishop, Ray Bruneau, Mike & Marilu Dempsey, Donna & Steve Flugal,
                  Jonathan & Linda Linforth, Blaik Mathews, Cheryl McDonough, Greg Owens,
                  Will & Emmi Pirnasch, Bob & Janet Putnam, Jerry Sirmans, Leigh Thomas, Andrea & Kevin Willer
Proxies:     None

A quorum of FLO members and Directors were present.

The meeting started with a brief introduction of those present.

Treasurer's Preliminary Report - Will Pirnasch:
The treasurer reported that FLO currently has a balance of approx. $13,800 with outstanding expenses of $1000, which will leave an approximate balance of $12,800 at the end of the year. This is almost the same as our balance at the end of last year.
This amount includes the sum of $874.76 which we are holding for Suncoast Orienteering.
Will asks that the Income/Expense Report to be emailed to him after each event.
The complete Treasurers Report is available upon request.
Email Will if you would like a copy of the report.

Membership - Mike Dempsey:
As of December 15 we had a total of 50 members consisting of 33 individuals and 17 couples/families. 7 of these are Life memberships. This is a drop from last years total of 57. A total of 31 members are also members of OUSA: 12 regular plus 19 Student/Junior members.

USOF Charter Renewal - Mike Dempsey:
Based on the USOF method for counting members we have 67 'members'. This combined with the $20 re-charter fee and a total of 2498 starts brings our USOF charter renewal fees to $2,752.50. These fees will be remitted by the treasurer next week.

Mapping / Event Report - Bob Putnam:
The only new maps used in 2014 were for the new 'Suncoast' venues.
Bob awarded the 2014 FLO Championship medals to those in attendance. He will mail the remaining medals to their respective winners.

Old Business:

Mapping Plans
A group of FLO members [Ray Bruneau, Blaik Mathews, Bob Putnam and Jonathan Linforth] will update the Ocala National Forest maps for the upcoming FLX Rogaine event in January. The cost of $10 per hour in the field, plus milage expenses, will be split 50/50 between FLO and FLX.
We also plan to map a new area of approx. 3.5 sq km on the North side of Tucker Hill at Croom.

Permanent Courses
The maps and control sheets for both Kelly and Moss Park are still available for download from the web.
The Description and Instructions pages of the original Moss Park brochure are also available.
New courses at FAM has been installed. Jonathan will make the Maps and control sheets available to Mike to post on the web site.
The courses for Katie's Landing have been designed and will be installed in the near future.
The course at Tibet Butler is still on hold.
It was suggested that a dedicated person be assigned to track/issue certificates for those participating on the Permanent Courses.

Park Relations
All Park relations seem to be in healthy order. Bob mentioned that anyone doing volunteer work in the State Parks should have their time noted by Ranger Scott Mowry at Wekiva Springs.

Hardware/Software Purchase
The subject of purchasing a tablet and software to use while mapping in the field was briefly discussed. This will be further researched by Jonathan.

Electronic Punches
Several members have again shown interest in using EPUNCH. We will form an insight panel to look into the pros and cons.

New Business:

Suncoast club status
Gord Hinter is actively trying to recruit enough OUSA members to start a separate OUSA sanctioned club.

Pangea Adventure Racing has been sold to a new entity called Florida Extreme (FLX). FLO will be providing mapping services to this new entity.

FLO Debit cards
Ray requested a FLO Debit card. This was approved. Ray will contact the bank to determine the process required.

Future Mapping suggestions
There was talk of some new areas to map on the eastern side of Orlando, such as Econ Sand Hills and South Split Oak Forest.

JROTC issues
No JROTC representatives were present at the meeting.
Bob mentioned that Gord Hunter is tracking all cadets performance and tallying results for year-end presentations, he needs contact with Donna Fluegel for USOF Jr. memberships.
A new map was made for Camp Blanding with plans to use it again next summer. Due to issues with the 2014 event this is now questionable.

Election of Officers:
Greg Owens has stepped down from the board leaving an opening for the remainder of his 2 year term. Notice was broadcast prior to the meeting with an election at this meeting.
Blaik Mathews was the only candidate and was unanimously voted by acclamation.

The meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM.

I hereby certify that these are the correct minutes of the meeting.

       Mike Dempsey,  Secretary/Admin

  Back   |   Home