Florida Orienteering - 2017 Annual Meeting

Date/Time: January 6, 2018 - 6:30pm
Location   : Blaik Mathews residence, Sanford, FL

The meeting was called to order at 6:34 PM.
The minutes were recorded by Mike Dempsey.

Attendees: Vicki Bishop, Linda Bren, Ray Bruneau, Mike Dempsey, Ron Eaglin, Mariela Febres, Donna & Steve Flugal,
                  Joanie Haas, Gord Hunter, Jonathan Linforth, Blaik Mathews, Cheryl McDonough,
                  Bob & Janet Putnam, Craig Sheriff, Jerry Sirmans, Ray and Missy Williamson
Proxies:     None

A quorum of FLO members and Directors were present.

Introductions: All present knew each other from past years' meeting and/or regular events.

Treasurer's Report - Bob Putnam for Will Pirnasch
The treasurer reported that FLO currently has a balance of $5,035. The balance at the end of last year was $10,036. The drop was primarily due to the fact that we paid our 2017 OUSA dues in December this year instead of in January 2018. This resulted in 2 large payments to USOF within this one year.
The other large expenses this year were for the mapping of Croom North and additional electronics to support the use of E-punch.
The complete Treasurers Report is available upon request.
Email Will if you would like a copy of the report.

Membership - Mike Dempsey
As of December 15 we had a total of 45 members consisting of 31 individuals and 14 couples/families. 8 of these are Life memberships. This is a slight drop from last years' total of 46. A total of 12 members are also members of OUSA (9 regular, 3 family) plus 10 additional family members.

USOF Charter Renewal - Mike Dempsey
Based on the USOF method for counting members we have 59 'members'. This combined with the $20 re-charter fee and a total of 2156 starts brings our USOF charter renewal fees to $3,460.50. These fees were remitted by the treasurer in December.
We had a record number of starts in 2017 despite the fact that one of our biggest events was [again] cancelled due to a hurricane.

Mapping & Events Report - Bob Putnam.
The winners of the 2017 FLO Annual Championships present were awarded their medals.
We had a record number of starts in 2017 despite the fact that one of our biggest events was [again] cancelled due to a hurricane.
An event was successfully held in April on the newly mapped Croom North area.
Other areas were field checked and updated. This is an ongoing effort.

Old Business:

Mapping Plans
No new areas have been selected for mapping this year. Plans are to spend time updating existing maps.

Permanent Courses
No further progress has been made with additional permanent courses.

Mapping Hardware/Software
Moving to the new OCAD version 12 was discussed.
The map printer is still going strong; no replacement heads required yet.
Blaik has been trying out 'Open Orienteering Mapper' software on a tablet. The complete setup along with a GPS unit will cost approx. $400. This would be used to replace the use of Mylar and colored pens while field checking and updating our maps.

E-punch Hardware/Software
Blaik presented all the various reports that are now available during and after our events. This includes a new function that shows questionable control locations and another that allows us to monitor those who are still out on the course and the time they have been out relative to those who have finished.

We will be trying out a new 'paperless' registration process. This process will use a n additional laptop and scanner. This may cause a potential bottleneck the first time it is used as we will require registrants to verify or add their information in the system. But once the majority of orienteers are in the system it should streamline the process. Once in the system all info can be pulled up using the bar code on a member card or cellphone, or by using their SI stick number.

Livelox usage is still 30% at best. Some JROTC leaders strongly support it but others need to be persuaded. Our primary goal here is to improve safety by being able to spot cadets who are obviously lost, or to locate someone quickly if they are reported to be in need of help.

The $1 SI fee currently charged to all JROTC entrants was discussed.
It was voted/approved to track this as a separate line item in the accounts.
Jonathan, Blaik and Will were appointed to finalize the details.
It was also voted/approved that civilians should also be charged this fee.
The fee will be rolled into the standard start fee resulting in the following charges:
JROTC: $6, Members: $7, Non-Members: $9. This will take effect at the February 24th event.

Park Relations
We seem to be dealing with different people each time but all have been very cooperative. The limits that were previously imposed on us at LBE have been lifted.

Suncoast report
Gord Hunter provided a brief overview of the year at Suncoast Orienteering, which is now operating as an independent OUSA affiliate.

New Business:

Navy Nationals
This year's Navy Nationals event will be Feb. 16-18. Friday will use the permanent courses at Kelly Park, Saturday will be at Kelly Park itself, and Sunday will use Wekiva State Park.
The Whispering Pines event will be the qualifyer for the Nationals. This event is expected to have over 400 JROTC participants.

North Florida Orienteering
FLO will support a new North Florida club currently being organized by Craig Sheriff. They are currently in the process of setting up as a non-profit. They have already made agreements with 3 parks and are looking at a few possible areas around Jacksonville. They will operate as a subsidiary of FLO until they can qualify as an independent affiliate club of OUSA.

Suncoast are now offering pre-registration for civilians as well as JROTC leaders.
Ron will help Gord to set up a Google Forms app so that registrants information is not visible to all.

Election of Officers:
The entire 9-member board has been re-elected for another 2 year term since no nominations were announced.
Ron Eglin will assume the role of Publicity from Ray Bruneau.

The meeting adjourned at 8:47 PM.

I hereby certify that these are the correct minutes of the meeting.

       Mike Dempsey,  Club Secretary

  Back   |   Home