Florida Orienteering - 2022 Annual Meeting


Date/Time: Febuary 19, 2022 - 2pm
Location   : Gemini Springs

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 PM by Bob Putnam.
The minutes were recorded by Mike Dempsey/Jonnie Haas.

Attendees: Joe Brautigam, Ray Bruneau, Mike Dempsey, Ron Eaglin, Mike Engstrom, Joanie Haas
                   Jonathan & Linda Linforth, Donna & Steve Flugal, Blaik Mathews, Emmi & Will Pirnasch
                   Bob & Janet Putnam, Jennifer Ruland, Russ Steinke, Andrea Willer
Online:       Gord Hunter, Cheryl McDonough, Boyd Ray Williamson

A quorum of FLO members and Directors were present.

Introductions: Each person present gave their name and a brief history of their involvement in Orienteering.

Treasurer's Report - Ray Williamson
The treasurer reported that FLO received income of $9,068 and had expenses of $6,449 during 2021. That leaves us with a balance of $14,396 after a starting balance of $11,777.
The primary reason for the relatively low income was the COVID-19 pandemic. The primary reason for the somewhat higher expenses was due to equipment purchases, including a Surface Pro, 30 new finger sticks, and an expensive battery.
The complete Treasurers Report is available upon request.
Email Ray if you would like a copy of the report.

Membership - Mike Dempsey
As of December 15 we had a total of 37 members consisting of 30 individuals and 7 couples/families. 11 of these are Life memberships. This is a small improvement from last years' 25 members. A total of 10 members are also members of OUSA (8 individual, 2 family).

USOF Charter Renewal - Mike Dempsey
Based on the USOF method for counting we have 44 'members'. This combined with the $20 re-charter fee and a total of 667 starts brings our USOF charter renewal fees to $1,174.50. These fees were remitted by the treasurer in December.

Old Business:

2022 Event Schedule
We have 3 remaining events planned before our summer break. No known issues for these events.
There will be no event in March as the available dates conflicted with SOAR events.
LBE and Ocala hve restrictions of 75 persons as these venues are still officially closed.

Covid ROYO Courses
Some of the Run On Your Own (ROYO) courses are using QR codes at each control which are scanned using the I-Orienteering app. Others are using MapRun which uses a GPS system and requires no markers in the woods.
The pros and cons of these were discussed and it was decided to pull in all remaining QR codes in June and close down all current courses.
New courses will be created in the Fall using MapRun as the only technology.
Volunteers will be needed to remove markers from all iOrienteering courses.

Technology
We bought 30 Fingersticks to bring our inventory back up to 85 after many had been sold.
We bought a new Mapping Tablet (w/GPS, battery pack, & protective case) for use in both mapping and at our events.
What 3 Words software will be used to specify a location to within 10 feet. This will be used to specify our event locations and also during SAR to locate missing runners.

Park Relations
We are on good terms with the rangers at all locations.

JROTC report
Toby is retiring and will only be in Florida for about 6 months of the year. Loney Cason will be taking over the JROTC liason position and is currently working closely with Toby.

Suncoast report
Gord had nothing to report for Suncoast.

New Business:

OCAD License Renewal
A motion to renew all 4 of our OCAD Licenses for another 3 years was approved unanimously.

Purchase Requests
A request was made to purchase 5 banner flags for 'Clear', 'Check', 'Start', 'Finish' and 'Download'. The design, price, and size were discussed and voted on. Blaik will add the FLO logo to the design and send it via email for final approval before placing the order. Approval was given to spend $1,187 to purchase these 5 flags. This includes the flags, poles and carry cases. Additional flags for parking and registration were discussed but are not yet approved
The need for a trailer to haul and store all our gear was discussed. It was decided that more information is needed before further discussion. Jonathan volunteered to do more research into this.

Website Update
Manny with FLX has offered to update our website. Ron demonstrated how to update/manage the FLX website. Blaik showed us OUSA’s new website. Manny will contact Mike Dempsey to discuss the options in more detail.

Volunteers
Discussion about the diminishing base of skilled volunteers and the increasing need for volunteers in all areas of event procedures. Suggested solutions:
• Toby has mentioned that some parents and cadre may be able to assist at events in the registration. Some training will be needed for procedures and making transactions with Square.
• Discussion about being more specific about what is needed at each event.
• Discussion about directly asking participants if they can help with something.
• Bob will hold a course design session at his house for all interested in learning.

Map symbology
The color and shape of symbols for Rootstock, Dead Tree, Distint Tree and Scattered palmetto thickets was discussed. The decision was to use a Green 'X' for both a rootstock and a dead 'stump' and a Green 'O' for a distinct tree whether alive or dead. Scattered palmetto thickets will be mapped in light green to indicate slow running.

Election of Officers:
All existing officers agreed to serve again. No new volunteers were received.
Re-ellection of all officers was approved unanimously.

The meeting adjourned at 4:46 PM.

I hereby certify that these are the correct minutes of the meeting.

       Mike Dempsey,  Club Secretary

  Back   |   Home